Insurance information for your employees and/or contractors

Public Liability and Professional Indemnity

Professional Indemnity and Public Liability is insurance both self employed contractors and employees can take out at their own cost to protect themselves against liable action which may occur during the course of their work.  Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance ensures workers have comprehensive cover whilst carrying out their workplace duties.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers sole traders, contractors or directly employed workers at their place of work against injury to another person or damage to property.  It covers third party claims against the worker and the replacement cost for damaged goods.

For example, if a worker leaves a wheelchair in the path and someone trips and falls, they will be covered for any claims made against them and for the costs to replace the damaged wheelchair.  Public Liability covers incidents in any location where work duties are carried out such as the person's home, a park, the doctor's surgery or the person's friend's house.

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance provides the essential financial protection for sole traders, contractors or directly employed workers for claims made against them whilst carrying out their professional services. If a worker does something in the course of their work such a providing the wrong medication dose or failing to do something that they have been instructed to do as part of their duty of care and the person they are working with suffers an injury or monetary loss as a result, that person may take legal action against the worker.  With a Professional Indemnity insurance policy, the worker or contractor can protect themselves and their assets against the claim and prevent personal financial losses.

Why does a contractor or employee need both Professional Indemnity and Public Liability?

A Disability Care worker is providing professional services in a place of work which means they need to cover themselves against claims relating to the service or care they provide as well as injury or damage to property given that work may occur with people in their home as well as out and about in the community.  Without this insurance contractors and employees have no protection against liable action.

Where can your worker or contractor get this insurance

Option 1

Southbank Insurance Brokers are providing an insurance package for disability support workers, contractors and healthcare professionals operating as sole traders, contractors or employed directly by the NDIS participant under the National Disability Insurance Scheme.  

The premium provides insurance cover for Professional Indemnity - $1,000,000 (1 million) and Broadform Liability - $10,000,000 (10 million).  For more information please review Southbank Insurance Brokers FAQ page.

Please note this is general information only and does not consider your individual needs.  You should consider if the insurance is suitable for you and read the Product Disclosure Statement or Policy wording before buying the insurance.

To get an instant quote and arrange cover online, please click on this link and complete the online application.

Option 2

Bizcover is an online Business Insurance Market Place that has managed to secure a Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance cover for Disability Care Workers or Contractors.  

The premium is based on self employed contractors and employees in the first revenue bracket being $0-100,000 for insurance cover for:Professional Indemnity - $1,000,000 (1 million) Public Liability - $10,000,000 (10 million).  

If you wish to set up this policy please follow the link: Bizcover online policy application  

Share Download