Where to start
Before you start planning with a Host Provider or with the Department for specific supports and services , it is important to think first about the kind of life you want to live. This big picture, whole of life or strategic planning process will help you to have more control over the discussion about supports and services. It will also help to ensure that your big picture plan directs the thinking about the kind of supports needed and how these are best used.
- Planning: a focus and starting point - a brief guide to beginning a big picture, whole of life planning process
- Planning: questions to get started - a checklist to help kick start your planning
- Choreographing the Future - outlines eleven key elements important for planning in the life of a person with a disability
- In pursuit of ordinariness - a story from a Brisbane family about the importance of planning in helping them to put ideas into action
- The importance of planning for my daughter - a story highlighting the importance of planning to make sure that a young woman has choice and ownership of "not only her actions but her dreams too...Dreams and planning need to happen before thinking about a budget."
This video gives an overview of what is involved in the kind of planning that needs to happen before negotiating for supports and services.